Friday, July 15, 2011

Redwork Pillow

I should be at the Summer movies today. It is a program presented by our local theater. It costs $7 to go to 10 movies one each week in the summer. The movies are kid friendly and are usually kid movies that have shown in the previous year (though never Disney movies.) I go with my sister, my DIL and my grandchildren. My DIL opted out because one child was super fussy and she thought it might be too intense for another. We eventually got into the movie and found it was too intense for another of the grandchildren, so I left the older children with my sister and took the other grandchild to my house. As he watches a movie of his choice, I will share this, my latest project.


I have always loved hand embroidery probably because it was something my mother enjoyed. In fact, my sister and I were married in a wedding dress that had hand-embroidered roses all over. Each of the women in the family spent weeks embroidering those roses.

I have never tried redwork but have wanted to. I decided that I needed to try it and, of course, a pillow is always my favorite item to sew. I have wanted this pillow for my sewing/craft/guest room.


In doing this redwork, I have found that texture becomes very important. You will notice that some areas of the redwork stand out. It is because I used different stitches. When I first started, I just used the stitch that was easiest. Later, I started paying attention to the end look.

I did just a little patchwork and because I did and because I am horrible at figuring that stuff out, my 14" pillow is really about 12 3/4". I don't really care. I was able to make the 14" pillow form fit inside and that was all I cared about.

No comments:

Post a Comment