Sunday, September 13, 2009

Papyrus Game

I usually plan on teaching a song for the first 2 weeks of the month and then playing games the last 2 weeks of the month for Primary Singing Time. This month, I needed a game much sooner than usual because the song was so easy.

Here's my idea...
I took phrases from each of our Sacrament Meeting Songs and printed them on paper.



I then rolled them up into scrolls. (I found that I had to use paper clips to hold one side as I rolled the other.) Then tied some raffia type stuff around them.



I took off the paper clips and there was a cute papyrus.



I placed them in a basket and I was ready for music time.



At singing time, I talked a little about how the Bible was originally written on papyrus. I then divided the children in teams and called one person up from a team and let the team have up to 3 chances to guess the song from the phrase on their papyrus. Their team got a point if they were able to come up with the name of the song. They had few problems guessing the song. We then sang the verse that the song was from.

In order to help the pianist and I, I made a cheat sheet in Excel where I alphabetized the quotes and had the song name, page number and verse, so we could easily find the songs. It worked pretty well.



I love singing time and am amazed at how many different ways there are to review songs. I have been in for a little over 4 months and each month I feature a different game or review. Some are definitely inspired (today's, for example) with no readily apparent source of inspiration, some are knockoffs of what I've seen on the internet, some are inspired by seeing some fun visual aid and running with it. I am definitely appreciative to my Father in Heaven who inspires me each week.

1 comment: