Monday, June 27, 2011

Blue Angry Bird

My two year old granddaughter felt left out when she didn't get an angry bird pillow so I agreed to make one for her. I used the same basic style as my red angry bird pillow so I didn't do a new tutorial.

Here is the pillow with the paper patterns I designed...


Here it is with the cut-out felt pieces...


And the finished project...


I did a few things differently with this angry bird. I decided to machine applique all the facial features with black since the game's characters themselves are done that way. I also made a big mistake when I used quilting thread. I knew better... quilting thread is a much thicker thread, but I didn't realize I had done it until I was putting the thread away. No wonder my machine kept getting stuck and stitching and stitching in the same place! It still didn't look too bad (though if you look closely, you will see some spots that are mountains of thread.) Also, I decided to use Fray Check on the thread ends of the machine applique. I have looked at some of the machine applique that I have done in the last little while and find that the threads have started to come loose. Hopefully Fray Check will help.