Saturday, September 7, 2013

Felt Campfire and Food

It has been close to a year since I posted but I am awfully proud of my latest creation and wanted to showcase it.  The idea came from Pinterest (of course) and I used several different posts for inspiration.  Lindsay and Drew had a great tutorial that I used and then I found that Etsy had lots of felt food and campfire stuff to buy and I drew on them for some ideas.  This will not be a tutorial.  I tried to make notes for myself so I could do it again, but I couldn't come up with the right words that clarified what I did.  So here are a few pictures and a few explanations.

This is the final kit that I sewed up.


I first tackled the fire pit itself. It required a big circle of gray. Everything was done with the circle.  No additional felt required.


 Here is where I sewed it.  It is the backside.


Next I tried the logs.  I basically did them like Lindsay and Drew described.  I did sew some details on them with the sewing machine and I found the birch fabric at Joanne's and thought I would use that.



The wood needed a fire so I turned to that next.  It is 3 sided and has an opening in the bottom.


I did the sticks next and did them basically like Lindsay and Drew except I used a magnetic purse snap.  Turning them was a real trick and I soon realized that I needed to sew the sticks to the joint of the twig and install the snap and start the turning process before I sewed the rest of it. I tried to do it without the suggested dowel, but it needed the stiffening that the dowel provided.




It was time to turn my attention to the food.  I sewed the marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate bars exactly like Lindsay and Drew.  I used magnets in the ends of the marshmallows. I had to be careful to check the polarity of the purse snaps and make sure the marshmallows would stick to the end of the stick.  I also used the smaller measurements suggested for the marshmallows.  I didn't want to make marshmallow blobs for the s'mores so I only lightly stuffed the marshmallows so they could be smashed down for the s'mores.


Of course, Lindsay and Drew did not have hot dogs and buns and condiments so I had to figure them out by myself.  I could find no tutorial.  I must say that the hot dog was the easiest thing I did once I figured out how to do it.



The condiments were fun and easy to figure out.


The hot dog bun was not as easy.  It involved two different sized pieces of fabric.  The larger was gathered to fit the smaller.



I sewed a zigzag stitch at the joint and then a straight stitch. I also made a stitch through all materials at the "v" point which served to make the bun keep a cupping position for the hot dog.

This took a little while to sew and a lot longer to figure out.  It was purely a labor of love for the grandchildren I am going to visit.  One last look!


Oh and did you notice that orange plastic piece?  It is a Halloween strobe light that I bought at Dollar Tree.  It makes the fire flicker in the dark  It is placed in an opening that I left in the bottom of the fire.

Last of all I made a big canvas bag to put every thing in so it wouldn't get lost.  Thanks Ash and Andrew for the idea!





1 comment: