Monday, October 5, 2009

Sewing projects

I have spent much of the last week sewing.

The Giraffe.


The elephant.


The kitten.


The entire menagerie.


An apron.


I can sew because my mother taught me the basics. I can sew a dress, shirt, pants plus crafts of all kinds and even quilts (though I don't particularly enjoy piecing a quilt.) I have no problem with set-in sleeves, zippers, linings, facings, easing, etc. and it is all because she took the time to teach me. I only wish I could have learned the techniques needed to alter a pattern. I have never been able to sew something for myself that actually fits.

On the other hand, my mother-in-law taught me the basics of working with knits. I learned to make baby booties, sleepers, t-shirts and even designed a pattern for "Rugby" shirts before patterns were available through the mass market.

Early in my marriage, it was cheaper to sew than to buy clothes, so my infant boys and toddlers had corduroy pants and jeans made by me. I also made onesies. I made bibs, spit up rags, lightweight receiving blankets suitable for a swamp cooled home and toys. How grateful I am for a heritage that provided me with the skills and knowledge to make virtually anything I want to.

3 comments:

  1. Such darling projects, and a great sewing heritage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make up the animal patterns? They're cute, but the elephant nose seems to be missing. Maybe it's the angle of the picture, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not make up the pattern, I know how to buy. The elephant's nose is really short and stumpy, but he's still cute.

    ReplyDelete