Sunday, October 25, 2009

Working on Sunday

I was talking to our former Bishop (I would say old, but I'm older than him and what would that mean about me? LOL) and he said something that made me remember a story about my husband's family.

As the WWII started, it was determined that many of the Japanese peoples needed to be contained in internment camps in the U.S. The U.S. government needed workers to build the internment camps. This came at a time when money was short, at least in my husband's family's house and so my husband's dad, grandpa and Uncle T decided to apply. They applied and got jobs as carpenters.

The workers were not accomplishing things as quickly as the powers that be thought they should be done, so it was determined that the workers needed to go to a 7-day work week. Uncle T told his supervisors that he would not be there on Sunday. Threats were made that he would lose his job, if he didn't work Sundays. The pressure was on. Would he or would he not show up? Sunday came and Ken's dad and grandfather were at the camp, but Uncle T did not come. He went to Church as was his lifelong habit. He was back to work on Monday and nothing was said, then or ever. He continued working. As the camp neared completion, workers were laid off, but Uncle T was one of the last to be laid off.

I have always admired Uncle T for choosing his God over his job. It was a hard decision, but the right one for him.

For pictures, go to http://parentseyes.arizona.edu/wracamps/camplife.html

No comments:

Post a Comment